Although the date of the first RETURN DAY in Georgetown is uncertain, it could have been as early as 1792. The State Law in 1791 removing the County seat from Lewes along the Coast to the a more geographically centered site, later named Georgetown, required all votes to be cast in the new County Seat on election day.
The same voters would "return" two days later to hear the results - hence the name RETURN DAY.
After the parade join Delaware's political leaders on the Main Stage on The Circle in front of the historic Sussex County Courthouse (circa 1837) to hear the Town Crier deliver the returns from the Courthouse balcony.
The dramatic "Burial of the Tomahawk" by Sussex County's party chairmen officially ends Delaware's political season.